Buccal Fat Removal (Cheek Reduction)
- Don’t like the appearance of fullness in your cheeks.
- Are otherwise healthy and have a stable weight.
- You may not be a good candidate for buccal fat removal if your face is narrow or if you’re over a certain age, as buccal fat naturally diminishes with age.
Who needs Buccal Fat Pad Removal?
- The procedure is done to lessen the chubby or rounded appearance.
- Some people want to get this surgery done to obtain facial aesthetic improvement or to obtain the ‘inverted triangle of youth’
- Midface recontouring
- To highlight cheekbones.
- Have a round face, also known as ‘chipmunk cheeks’, which is mostly hereditary
- Have big cheeks or bulky buccal fat pads or a ‘baby face’.
- Are uncomfortable with your appearance.
- Damage to facial nerve and/or salivary duct injury.
- Numbness or sensory
The above-mentioned, will gradually decrease as the body heals. Healing period is usually 3-4 weeks. It usually takes several months to see the final results These should gradually fade as your body heals. Healing time is usually about three weeks. It will take time — usually several months — before you’ll see the final results.
It is mandatory important to follow the surgeon’s post-operative instructions, follow-ups.
The healing time is usually about 3 weeks.
The procedure involves the following steps:
- An incision (cut) of about 2 cm will be made just 1cm to the side of Stensen’s duct (a part of the parotid gland (a major salivary gland)).
- The buccinator muscle will be exposed and blunt dissection done.
- After the blunt dissection,the fat protrudes via the incision,gentle pressure will be applied under the zygomatic arch externally.
- The buccal fat pad which is now exposed, will be clamped and with the help of a electrocautery will be excised.Now on the opposite side,the same procedure will be done and the wound will be closed
- The wound will be closed generally using the resorbable sutures.