Microneedling utilizes body’s ability to heal to treat various skin and hair issues. It is aminimally invasive cosmetic procedure that is used to stimulate collagen production and thus help to treat skin and hair concerns.
Microneedling is done with multiple, small, sterilized needles that causes pricks or small intentional injury on the skin. In response to that, there is more production of collagen in the treated area that leads to numerous beneficial effects.
This procedure has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. It has shown promising results and patients with different skin concerns. Few of the benefits of microneedling have been listed here under:
- Reduction of appearance of scars, including acne scars
- Reduction of appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Rejuvenation of skin
- Reduction of enlarged pores
- Reduction of hyperpigmentation
- Reduction of melasma
- Treatment of uneven skin tone
- Improvement of skin elasticity leading to more youthful appearance
- Reduction of appearance of stretch marks
- Hair growth in people with hairloss/ alopecia.
- Cost effective
- Minimal downtime
A numbing agent (topical anaesthetic) is applied on the skin 30-45 minutes before the procedure. The procedure of microneedling might take another 30 minutes.
A microneedling pen is used for the procedure which is moved evenly across the affected area.
PRP or other serums might be used as an adjunct to enhance the results.
You may notice skin irritation and redness with the first few days after the procedure.
Your skin will also be more sensitive to sun , so it is compulsory to apply generous amount of sunscreen every 4 hours.
You will be able to see improvement in your skin after the first week. The effect can last for a few weeks.
As the results are not permanent, you might require 4-6 sessions to completely treat your skin concerns.
Skin care after microneedling:
- Sun protection
- Avoid retinols and other active ingredients in your skincare
- Avoid makeup
- Stay hydrated