1).Tooth development and eruption .
2) Management of the child patient .
5)Tooth surface loss ( wear).
Tooth development and eprution :
- You should know at what age primary teeth begin to mineralize , at what age their root formation is complete is complete and at what age they erupt.
- Know at what age permanent teeth begin to mineralize , at what age their roor formation is complete and at what age they erupt.
Management of the child patient :
- You should the milestone of child development.
- Be able to relate the milestone to what an individual child can be expected to cope with in the dental surgery.
- Know the strategies that a dentist could employ to help children to cope.
- Appreciate the importance of an accurate and comprehensive history and examination.
- You should be able to explain the development of caries to any patient/parent.
- Know the current clinical methods and possible future methods to detect caries.
- Know how to carry out a caries risk assessment.
- Know how to tailor a preventive plan in accordance with childs caries risk.
- Know the current materials in use for the restoration of primary and permanent teeth , and their respective advantages and disadvantages.
Restorative materials :
- 1. Amalgam.
- 2. Glass ionomer cements.
- 3. Resins modified GIC.
- 4. Polyacid – modified composite resin.
- 5. Composite resins.
- 6. Preformed crowns.
Tooth discoloration :
You should know the causes of extrinsic and intrinsic tooth discoloration.
Know which treatments are appropriate for each type of discoloration.
- 1. Hydrochloric acid-pumice microabrasion technique.
- 2. Non vital bleaching .
- 3. Vital bleaching.
- Chairside vital bleaching .
- Nightguard vital bleaching .
Tooth surface loss :
- You should be able to give accurate advice to patients/parents about which foods and drinks can be harmful to the teeth.
- Be able to suggest suitable alternative to the above.
- Know the medical causes of tooth surface loss.
- Know the main treatment objectives for tooth surface loss.
- Know the appropriate materials to treat tooth surface loss.
- you should know the indications and contraindications for primary molar pulp treatment.
- Know the medicaments used in primary molar pulp treatment.
- Know the treatment for vital and non-vital immature permanent incisors.
- Know the initiating factors in the different types of resorption.